Non-Issue Becomes Most Important Issue of 2012 Campaign
It's disturbing and dispiriting that Obama's immaterial endorsement of gay marriage rights alone is heralded as a glowing achievement for American progressivism . . . how lame.
May 10, 2012
I'm nostalgic for Jim Morrison. Seems like only yesterday I "woke up this morning and I got myself a beer." This morning, I woke up and found out that everyone and everything was gay.
The headline in the Lancaster paper read, "Obama: Gay marriage is OK." The emperor has spoken. So let it be written, so let it be done. Thanks Slobama, for joining us in the 21st century.
Of course, similar headlines were splashed across the front pages and screens of the Serious Corporate-Usurped Media (SCUM), from your local daily fish-wrapper to the cable "infotainment" networks. If that wasn't bad enough, when I started trolling my usual alternative left-leaning websites for real news, the slobbering liberal media's reaction to O-bomb-ya's feeble foray into common decency became almost deafening.
Below is a list of the headlines culled from some of my favorite online rags (mind you, this is just from this morning!):
- Obama endorses same sex marriage
- Report: Romney bullied ‘presumed’ gay student in 1965
- North Carolina gay rights supporters regroup after loss on Amendment One
- Barney Frank: I’m not inviting Obama to my wedding
- Chris Matthews compares LGBT Republicans to indentured servants
- Fox News’ Shep Smith: Obama now in the 21st century
- Leno to Santorum: ‘You’re wrong’ on same sex marriage
- Colbert: Obama has pushed the Rainbow Button and launched ‘Gay-mageddon’
- Stewart: Now straight people can have the same lack of rights same sex couples never had
- Obama’s marriage epiphany
- Obama’s finest hour
- A big day for civil rights
- Obama “evolves” on marriage
- Obama’s marriage apologists
- The end of Obama’s “evolution”
- The unlikely liberal hero: Joe Biden
- Obama Won't Lose Voters Over Gay Marriage
- How Obama—and Half of America—Came To Accept Gay Marriage
- The Audacity of Evolution
- His Evolution Is Our Evolution
- Gay Marriage, Black Voters
- Obama Backs Gay Marriage, News Sites React
- Do You Believe Obama Actually Changed His Mind About Gay Marriage?
- Then Comes Marriage
- What Do Limp Wrists Have To Do With Gay Men?
- And Here's Why Obama's Evolution Doesn't Mean Anything
- The President’s Gift
- Hope and Hesitation in Obama’s Sudden Conversion
- What the China Crisis (and His Gay Crisis) Revealed About Mitt
- Obama and Gay Marriage: Thanks for Nothing
- Obama Evolves, Backs Gay Marriage
- Obama’s Gay Marriage Conundrum
Judging from all the brainless ballyhoo, one might surmise that gay marriage is not only an important issue, but one that should influence how a person votes in the next presidential election. Never mind the fact that--after you eliminate the curious, the confused, and the trendy--we're lucky if as much as 10% of the U.S. population is actually gay. Never mind that probably only 1/10 of those want to get anywhere near their own wedding. Never mind that whether two gay people are married somewhere is utterly irrelevant to whatever sanctity or integrity there might be in heterosexual matrimony. Never mind that the opinion of the President of the U.S. on the issue of gay marriage is virtually meaningless, given that these matters are the exclusive purview of the states. It's disturbing and dispiriting that Obama's immaterial endorsement of gay marriage rights alone is heralded as a glowing achievement for American progressivism, and one that somehow illustrates a substantial difference between him and Mitt Romney. How lame.
Gay marriage is a Non-Issue on the federal level, and barely an issue on the state level, when compared to the imminent financial bankruptcy of municipalities and entire states, rampant unemployment and underemployment, marrow-sucking student loan debt, and the ongoing evisceration of the Bill of Rights. Until Barack Obama immediately ends America's illegal corporate-colonial wars, stops murdering children in Pakistan and Yemen with unmanned drones, reverses the dictatorial edicts of the PATRIOT ACT and NDAA, and finally turns his belligerence on the real enemy--the Wall Street Mafia and transnational loan sharks like the Federal Reserve, World Bank, and IMF--there will be absolutely nothing else he can do to deserve progressive votes in November. If those abominations are not soon addressed, then it's not going to matter whether any of us is gay or straight, married or single. Life is going to suck.
I'm not homophobic. I'm homo-i-don't-give-a-shit. There are too many looming catastrophes threatening the survival of our nation and our species to waste time debating who is allowed to get a marriage license. Like God, Guns, Osama bin Laden, and Trayvon Martin, it is a manufactured distraction from the real issues at hand and a smokescreen for this world's true oppressors.